October 1, 2008

{ To be gray or not to be gray?...That is the question. }

I had a hair appointment yesterday to get my gray covered. I go every 5 weeks when I really could go every 4. I found my first gray hair when I was around 21 and now I'm 34 and 95% gray! 95% gray! I've been kind of freaking out about this since my hairdresser broke the news. It's my fault...I asked.

I love my brown hair but, man, it really shows the gray when it grows out. And I don't have the time to go so often. I'm trying to decide when I should let it go completely gray. Right now I'm thinking I will celebrate my 40th birthday with a new gray hairdo. That's only 6 years away. That's about 62 more dye jobs and about $6,200. What!?!! I could buy something real nice with $6,200.

I heard about an article that W Magazine wrote about embracing your gray hair. It said, "Once the hallmark of sweet old grannies, gray hair is now being embraced by women with a daring streak."

Hhhmmm...do I have a daring streak? Anyone who knows me, knows I like to try different things with my hair. But going gray at 34? I'm not sure that I'm that daring. Maybe I should read this...


Now, if I knew I would look great, then it wouldn't be a problem. I'm too afraid that I will look twice my age and that it will make my skin look ghostly.

If I knew I would look like this...


...I would do it in a second.

I've always loved Judy Dench's sophisticated, short, gray hair.


Maybe I could have a little fun with it, like this...


That would be cool! (Funny how I'm not so much afraid of pink as I am of gray.)

But, I've decided if I can look half as beautiful as this lady...


...inside & out, I'll be very lucky! Love you Mom!

3 comments:

Cindy said...

Oh, Jamie. I wouldn't know what to do either! I think you'd be pretty no matter what!

The George's said...

Don't do it! At least not yet, I think it would age you... maybe you could fade out the brown and go blonde and then transition to gray gradually...

LillyB said...

I am so glad you addressed this. I have been dyeing my hair for so long that I cant remember the real color. My father was completely white headed by the time he was 30 and my son has had beautiful salt and pepper hair since he was 16. I suspect he was the beer purchaser for his friends during his teenage years. However, He turned out to be a great young man LOL I said all that to say that it has been a generational curse (the gray and white hair) I have fought it like a tiger and will continue to do it until there is no fight in me. I tell everyone that they are my blonde roots if they decide to shoot thru before I can get to them!
Have a great day! Thank you for sharing!!!