April 24, 2009

{ Interesting Article }

April 20th, 2009
FOX News

Miss California USA Agrees With Obama and Elton John on Gay Marriage

By Mark Joseph

Miss California USA, Carrie Prejean, doesn’t agree with the notion of gay marriage. Now, according to some, that makes her a bad person. Asked by judge Perez Hilton about the issue at the Miss USA pageant, Prejean replied: “We live in a land where you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite. And you know what, I think in my country, in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody out there, but that’s how I was raised.”

The response, from some quarters was swift — and angry:

“As co-director of the Miss California USA, I am personally saddened and hurt that Miss California believes marriage rights belong only to a man and a woman,” said Keith Lewis who runs the Miss California competition. “I believe all religions should be able to ordain what unions they see fit. I do not believe our government should be able to discriminate against anyone and religious beliefs have no politics in the Miss California family.”

“It’s ugly,” added Scott Ihrig, who attended the event with his partner. ”I think it’s ridiculous that she got first runner-up. That is not the values of 95 percent of the people in this audience. Look around this audience and tell me how many gay men there are.”

If Prejean’s views are “ugly,” than she’s not alone on the public stage:

During the last presidential campaign President Obama answered the same question by declaring:

“I’m a Christian. And so, although I try not to have my religious beliefs dominate or determine my political views on this issue, I do believe that tradition, and my religious beliefs say that marriage is something sanctified between a man and a woman.”

Elton John has also weighed in, saying:

“If gay people want to get married, or get together, they should have a civil partnership… The word ‘marriage,’ I think, puts a lot of people off. You get the same equal rights that we do when we have a civil partnership. Heterosexual people get married. We can have civil partnerships.”

Whether we agree with Prejean, President Obama and Elton John or not, there is one thing we should all agree upon: All Americans deserve the right to debate issues and disagree with each other without threats, intimidation or ad hominem attacks. — Those who want to convince their fellow citizens about the rightness of their cause can best accomplish that by convincing, not shaming them, into agreeing with them.

I never get political on here but, I thought this article was interesting. I completely agree that "All Americans deserve the right to debate issues and disagree with each other without threats, intimidation or ad hominem attacks." By the way, I agree with Prejean, Obama & Elton John on this issue.

8 comments:

Letti said...

I Agree with Miss California. I believe it shows her true self to be so truthful no matter what the outcome.

Courtney N said...

A lot of people have been talking about this and I think its great. I didn't watch the pagent but I'm glad she stood up for herself... especially when the question was from a gay judge.

I also agree with Elton.

~ Stacey ~ said...

YEAH Miss California!!! and I love the fact that even now she still stands firm in her convictions. When asked if she could do it all over again and answer politically correct and win, she says no I would answer the same. I love her.

Adrienne of Noon To Two and Handmade By Ade Etsy Shops said...

Thank you for stating your own beliefs at the end there.

I find it interesting that the people who are commenting are the ones that agree. Do you?

Prejean and Obama's statements are of my own, but I actually learned something from Elton John's statement. Why do gay people want to change the traditions of marriage then?

By the way, I also agree. :)

Adrienne

Kasey said...

you know what. No one's way is the right way.
We do live in a free america, and we are able to debate about topics freely.
my beliefs might be different then others, but i love the fact that i am neither right or wrong.
xo

Victoria said...

Whether you agree with her or not, she was very eloquent, and almost touching in her statement. I suppose if you didn't agree with her, that wouldn't have been very touching:)

Bethie - Chic Junque said...

The thing is she shouldn't have been judged by her opinion because it didn't match his. There is no right or wrong answer to a question like this. Maybe it shouldn't have been asked in a venue like this to begin with.

Jeanne Oliver said...

What I think is honorable and brave about her answer is that she was truthful...she could have said anything else to win. Why is it now wrong for people to disagree? Everyone is so worried about being politically correct...isn't the statement true..if you don't stand for something you don't stand for anything!!!!