August 31, 2010

{ Revamp of Grandpa's Stools }

I'm sorry I didn't get this post up yesterday.
I forgot I promised Ms. Sassy that I would take her to the mall.
We don't go to the mall much, so it was a special all day occasion.

I have had these stools for years.
They were my Grandpa's.
So even though my hubby begged to throw them away at least once a month, I couldn't part with them.
I, finally, sanded & repainted them.
There were at least 4 layers of...I'm pretty sure...lead paint on them.
And they were really beaten up.
When my kids would sit on them, their pants would catch on slivers of the wood.
While sanding them in my driveway, a neighbor came over & asked if it was worth the work for a little stool.
I said, "Yes! They were my Grandpas!"
But, I'm also very happy with how they turned out.

What do you think?

I added the numbers to the top for fun.
My hubby & 15 year old son haven't stopped teasing me that we have a #1 & #2 stool.
Leave it to boys to have potty minds.

They make our little work station complete.

And I fixed the messy cord problem...

Ahhh, much better!
I stuck the power strip & cords inside the basket on the bottom for a much cleaner look.

I'm so excited to have them done!
But, I have to admit, after so many years, I kind of miss the orange paint.
Just a little.

Hope you're having a fantastic week!

12 comments:

Jill@Barnes Yard said...

Cute, Cute!

Kimmy said...

So so cute!!! Love 'em!

Dawn said...

I love them! They turned out amazing!

I totally love the fact that they belonged to your Grandpa. My hubby doesn't get my sentimental attachment to things either!

Check out my blog, I posted my take on your "Junk Baskets"!!!

Hugs,
Dawn

mimi said...

ha ha! I love them! I did a post today on my little white No. 5 chair. I guess great minds think alike.Grandpa would be proud, you recycled them.

sloan said...

okay you and sheri and all the sis's are seriously the greatest decor artists I have ever known. Love all you do and the stools are adorable.... LOVE them

corners of my life said...

The stools look great ~ nice job. I love the messy cord fix and will be tidying ours up this afternooon. Thanks.

Crickit said...

What a cute idea for the stools... that turned out great!

Holly Do. said...

So glad you didn't throw those away (though, I would of "dumpster dived" for them!)!!

Great re-do and a nice memory to keep forever.

liz @ bon temps beignet said...

Love them! Is the font Engravers MT?

Julie said...

I love your Grandpa's stools!! I like the way they turned out.

Anonymous said...

love it!

Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} said...

good idea for the cords and the stools turned out cute - they were cute even before you painted them, and i love the #'s - i really need to do that somewhere in my house :)