August 3, 2009

{ Dresser Makeover }

While visiting my family in Utah, about a week ago, my mom gave me a dresser that she was getting rid of.
If you notice, there are no handles on it. That is because I am lame & broke two of them moving it. Of course, I was planning on changing them anyway so, I wasn't too sad. I decided to use it in the little girls room to replace the desk that was between their beds. Mainly because the desk was a safety hazard as it tended to tip over whenever they opened more than one drawer at a time. But, they also needed more drawers for clothes. I've noticed as my little girls are getting bigger, so are their clothes. Genius, huh?
Ms. Sassypants really wanted to help so, I let her do some priming. She didn't do too badly, either. Might be nice to have a helping hand around.
Here's my hubby, making sure we're doing it right. And can you see Boo pointing out where we missed a spot? The spot was the whole inside. She didn't understand why we weren't painting that too. :)
And here's the after...
I'm really happy with it. I still need to do a bit of accessorizing. I'm trying to decide exactly what I want on top of it & hung above/around it.
What do you think of the lamp, by the way? It was mossy green & I painted it. I'm not sure if it's just a bit too bright. Tell me you think. Also, should I add something to the shade?
Funny story on the lamp. I got it from Target. It was the cheapest one I could find at $16. I got it home, plugged it in & for the life of me, couldn't figure how to turn it on. It didn't have a switch anywhere! Not at the top, not on the cord. I was baffled. I finally pulled the tag out of the trash & read that it was a touch light. By touching the base it turns on & off. Ha, ha! I'm such a nerd! My girls think it's "awesome"!

9 comments:

Laurie Anne said...

Looks great!! Makes me want to the dresser I have hiding up stairs :0)

Carry Grace said...

Great dresser makeover. I've been on the hunt for something similar.

I can't see the rest of the room to know if the yellow is too bright. If it's close to the yellow in the bedding I think it's good.

Cindy said...

You are really good! And now your girls are picking it up too! It turned out really nice. I need some lessons....

Gaia said...

A have some old furnitures that I'm gonna change and take in my next home!
The result of your dresser is amazing! very good job!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

Great makeover - I'm in the middle of a furniture re-do. I love it!

~ Stacey ~ said...

I love the dresser. I wish I had talents like you!!
I love that you added your family to your blog. I love looking at everyones ideas. :)

Chris said...

Oooh, I love it! It's like a brand new dresser! P.S. I like the idea of the "new" blog! Hope it works for you!!

Bobbi said...

Wow! Huge difference, Jamie! And I know, I saw it close up!!

Romana said...

nice dresser job, looks great in thier room!
As for the lamp, I spy some yellow in the bedding which is a great tie-in. You could perhaps add some co-ordinating ribbon/pop-pom fringe to the top and bottom of the lamp, in maybe the same pink or orange as their bedding. Too cute!